Role Description: A Sigma youth representative represents Sigma to the United Nations Department of Public Information (DPI) and the non-governmental organization (NGO) community. The youth representative attends and/or participates in various United Nations (UN) events, programs, and activities related to health and/or nursing. This volunteer role reports directly to the global initiatives department and will serve a two-year term during the duration of Sigma’s biennium starting January 2022 and ending January 2024. During this time, the youth representative may not hold another elected position at the regional/global level within Sigma.
- Attend a minimum of six (a combination of virtual and in-person) nursing, or other areas of interest to Sigma, UN briefings, programs, or meetings annually.
- Develop a comprehensive plan for Sigma’s engagement with the UN in conjunction with the global initiatives department and the Sigma liaisons. Identify opportunities and recommend strategies to promote Sigma.
- This includes identifying appropriate conferences, meetings, and other events, workgroups, and committees to enhance Sigma’s presence at the UN.
- Identify potential co-sponsors for programs.
- Participate in scheduled conference calls with the global initiatives department.
- Participate in, and stimulate dialogue and conversation within, Sigma and the nursing community regarding UN programs, goals, and activities (e.g., social media, The Circle, chapter meetings, webinars).
- Submit activity report of events, programs, and activities attended.
- Write articles for dissemination in journals and on Nursing Centered.
- Be between the ages of 18 and 28 at time of application.
- Ability to travel to attend UN events in New York, NY, United States.
- Maintain active Sigma membership throughout the term of service.
Principal Responsibilities of Sigma
- Apply for and assign an annual and/or temporary UN grounds pass which allows access to UN headquarters in New York, NY, United States.
- Coordinate conference calls.
- Promote and disseminate Sigma’s work at the UN to Sigma members and other interested audiences.
- Provide limited reimbursement for travel and food expenses incurred in completion of job duties and upon submission of receipts and activity reports.
- Feature the Sigma UN youth representatives on the Sigma website.