LGBTQ+ Health Community

November 2023 Sigma Biennial Convention in Texas

• 1.  November 2023 Sigma Biennial Convention in Texas

Posted Mon July 17,2023 07:52 AM

This year Sigma's Biennial Convention is in Texas. Below is my email response to the invitation. I'm curious about others' thoughts about attending conferences in general, in states that are active in anti-lgbtqia+ legislation.

My response:

Unfortunately, I will not attend the Biennial Convention in November because of Texas's discriminatory policies and laws targeting LGBTQIA+ residents. The consequences of Texas's anti- LGTBQIA+ legislation are incredibly harmful and, in some cases, deadly. As a queer person and a nurse, I can not in good conscience support a state actively trying to injure and erase an already vulnerable population. In the future, I hope Sigma will choose States and venues that support protecting people, regardless of their sexual orientation and gender identity.

------------------------------
    Erik McIntosh, DNP, RN
    Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
    Chicago, IL
    U.S.A
    2024 Congress ER

• 2.  RE: November 2023 Sigma Biennial Convention in Texas

Posted Mon July 17,2023 08:58 AM

I have to concur with my colleague, Erik. The discriminatory rhetoric, policies, and legislation being spewed across our nation are repulsive to say the least. I do not see a need to support states that support this level of hate. I encourage Sigma Theta Tau to carefully reassess where our special events are being held to ensure that wherever an event is being held, every attending member will feel openly welcomed and supported as a valuable member of not only Sigma Theta Tau, but the human race. 

Sincerely

Katie Foster, DNP

Katie Foster DNP, AGACNP-BC, ENP-C, FNP-BC, CEN
    Emergency Nurse Practitioner
    Sundance WY
    United States

2024 Congress ER

• 3.  RE: November 2023 Sigma Biennial Convention in Texas

Posted Tue July 18,2023 09:36 AM

Good afternoon,

While I agree with the sentiment of not supporting biased policy directly, I would encourage those labelling a whole state (and disregarding the large number of LGBTQ+ members already here) to exercise caution in that action. There are many here that are actively working to bring improvements to health equity in Texas. Unfortunately, we are not (yet) the majority and the state has many rural areas with limited healthcare access at all. Still, the health landscape in Texas IS changing for the better. Change is not a light switch, simply turned on. It is instead the slow and steady push for equitable healthcare that health professionals in Texas continue to press forward. Our battle to do so will be much slower, without allies from other states.

For those of us already here, working to improve the field of nursing and the atmosphere within Texas, further support could mean an increase of visibility to our cause. I do think that Sigma, and specifically the LGBTQ+ Health Community, can contribute to a more positive atmosphere by *showing up and speaking up* to promote an atmosphere of belonging. This will benefit our peers, students, and patients far better than avoidance tactics will. 

Warmly,

Katherine Kreis MSN, RN, CHSE
    Clinical Assistant Professor
    Garland TX
    United States

2024 Congress ER

• 4.  RE: November 2023 Sigma Biennial Convention in Texas

Posted Wed July 19,2023 10:53 AM

i absolutely agree with this sentiment - I would see a refusal to host events in hostile legislative environments as a mark of solidarity with, rather than poor reflection on LGBTQI+ nurses and allies in that state.

Of note, and in some ways more concerning, the Sigma International Research Conference is being held in a country which has a significant prison sentence for homosexual acts.

It would be understandable to question Sigma's commitment to LGBTQI+ rights 

John Gilmore PhD RGN FHEA
    Assistant Professor
    Dublin 4
    Ireland

2024 Congress ER

• 5.  RE: November 2023 Sigma Biennial Convention in Texas

Posted Thu July 20,2023 02:30 PM
    My response to the invitation to submit to the current Abu Dhabi conference was that my existence in that country is illegal and so I could not attend. However, at this point in history there are very few places safe for trans people, including Indiana where Sigma is headquartered, so I'm not sure there is really a great answer to the question of where to hold international conferences. Certainly there are some U.S. states that are better than others for the biennial delegate meetings, though. 

2024 Congress ER

• 6.  RE: November 2023 Sigma Biennial Convention in Texas

Posted Mon August 14,2023 11:16 PM

A glance at my profile will quickly reveal my inherent bias as a resident of San Antonio, but please don't dismiss me out of hand.  First of all, Texas is both large geographically and quite varied demographically and politically.  San Antonio is a majority minority city that we often joke is the nicest city in Northern Mexico - all the food and culture with better infrastructure. As a member of the Stonewall generation I have lived through the varying cycles of engage/avoid/lobby/boycott/demand approaches to achieving social change and observe that the progress that we as a community have made - e.g., marriage equality -  was won largely by the strategy to shun avoidance and stress our ubiquity, the fact that almost everyone knows and cares about a member of the LGBTQ community.  Staying away makes us shut up, better to show up and be present. Plus, I'll give you all the the 411 on the best places to eat and drink!

James Halloran MSN RN CNS FAAN
    San Antonio TX
    United StatesMSN RN CNS FAAN

2024 Congress ER

• 7.  RE: November 2023 Sigma Biennial Convention in Texas

Posted Thu September 14,2023 04:51 PM

I know I am late to this conversation, but I have to agree with Katherine Kries and say that as a nurse and researcher in LGBTQ+ health here in Texas, please don't paint the entire state with this broad brush. There are many LGBTQIA+ folks in Texas who need to see nurses present and helping them, even just seeing them. They feel invisible in our current culture. Showing up and speaking up is the answer. 

I hope you all will attend and add your voice.

Alison Pittman Ph.D., RN, CNE, CPN
    Clinical Assistant Professor
    College Station TX
    United States

2024 Congress ER

• 8.  RE: November 2023 Sigma Biennial Convention in Texas

Posted Thu September 14,2023 05:06 PM
    Amen!! The VA has created a specific national program office advocating for LGBT care led by an outstanding clinician from Texas. 
    As you might expect LGBT sensitive care is more available in more urban settings but there are pleasantly surprising positive scenarios even in smaller settings.  In all cases, nurses play a large role in promoting safe, competent, effective LGBT care.

2024 Congress ER

• 9.  RE: November 2023 Sigma Biennial Convention in Texas

Posted Wed September 20,2023 06:53 PM

Thank you all for your responses. It is not a straightforward answer or a right/wrong response.

On the one hand, after North Carolina passed the "bathroom bill" in 2016, musicians and the NBA canceled their events, threatening billions of dollars in loss of revenue. Eventually, the law was repealed a year later. Significant events, like Sigma's conference, bring money to the state. Suppose organizations refuse to give business to a state because of their laws and policies. It sends a message of support and could help change policy and law. On the other hand, California recently repealed its travel ban to states with anti-LGBTQ laws simply because it has not worked.

It is essential to recognize that with states like Texas (and Florida, Montana, North Dakota, Arkansas, and Tennessee, to name a few more), LGBTQIA+ members of Sigma may not feel safe to attend. Sigma should take note and recognize this. This isn't about labeling a state as anti-lgbtq but calling out that Texas has lgbtq policies and laws that are harmful and even deadly. It by no means diminishes the active and good work being done to support the lgbtq community. I am very thankful to Katherine and Alison for the work that you do; it is needed more than ever at this time.

Thank you, James, especially for your perspective. You have witnessed and participated in the march towards equality as the Stonewall generation and the following generations have much to be grateful for your hard work and dedication. You have made some excellent points.

I hope to continue discussing how nurses and nursing organizations respond to anti-lgbtq legislation. What are your ideas?

Erik McIntosh, DNP, RN
    Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
    Chicago, IL
    U.S.A

2024 Congress ER

• 10.  RE: November 2023 Sigma Biennial Convention in Texas

Posted Wed September 20,2023 07:12 PM

Economic responses must be sufficiently large and precisely targeted in order to achieve intended effect, otherwise risk being ineffectual or worse. I agree that Sigma bears responsibility to provide a safe - and welcoming! - environment to its LGBTQ members, but please do not paint all of the huge state of Texas with the same brush.  (Locals often joke that we live in the nicest city in northern Mexico - all the best food and culture with better infrastructure :-) ) Also note that the vast majority of any economic benefit from convention business accrues to the city/county, not the State.  A bit of research would show that San Antonio is perennially at odds with the draconian demons currently exploiting their power in Austin.  SA has a long history of acceptance, embracing equity and equality. There are 11 protected classes in the San Antonio non-discrimination ordinance: race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability, familial status, national origin or age.

James Halloran MSN RN PMHCNS FAAN
    San Antonio TX
    United States

2024 Congress ER